Healthy cakes and cupcakes for 1st birthday parties were hard for me to find when my oldest daughter turned one. But now we’ve got a bunch of great healthy cake & cupcake recipes for kids.
And when I say “cupcakes” I also mean muffins. Why not?
Every yummy muffin and cake on Foodlets is low in sugar, sometimes sweetened with only honey or maple syrup and usually full of fruit, flaxseed, wheat germ plus a few vegetables too. When it comes to healthy baked goods, these aren’t kidding around.
I’ve had four kids in the last six years and we’ve made many cakes and cupcakes to celebrate all those birthdays. These are the best for small kids who haven’t had a lot of sugar and bonus, they’re good enough for bigger kids to enjoy too.
HEALTHY MUFFINS THAT DOUBLE AS DELICIOUS CUPCAKES
- Banana Muffins Sweetened with Honey – Lori David’s (of “Fed Up”) amazing recipe uses coconut oil and tons of very ripe bananas to produce the most flavorful banana muffin I’ve ever had.
- Applesauce Zucchini Muffins – Sweet and cakey, these muffins are light as air, and full of veggies.
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins – A makeover of a Smitten Kitchen’s more decadent Double Chocolate Banana Mufins.
- Carrot Cake Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting – Exactly.
- Orange Pound Cake Muffins – Pair these David Lebovitz makeover muffins with whipped cream frosting and the result is something familiar: Twinkies. Healthier Twinkies.
- Hummingbird Cake – Brimming with pineapple and bananas, this is a healthier take on a southern tradition.
- Healthier Chocolate Zucchini Cake – Lots of zucchini, plenty of chocolate, a little less sugar.
- Banana Cake – A David Lebovitz recipe makeover that’s rich and moist all at once.
- Maple Syrup Sweetened Chocolate Cake – Yes!
- Flourless Chocolate Black Bean Cake – You don’t taste the beans; they just make the cake moist. And full of protein.
FUN IDEAS FOR TOPPINGS, SPECIAL SHAPES & DECORATIONS
- Dirt Cups – Made with low-sugar brownies and homemade chocolate pudding.
- Chocolate Covered Banana Cake Pops – David Lebovitz’s low-sugar cake gets rolled in chocolate.
- Tractors Tearing Up the Cake – John Deere tractors on a chocolate cake = instant fun.
- Dinosaur Dig! – A dinosaur-shaped cake plus cupcakes with dino figures perched on top.
- Little Fish Cupcakes – To any of our healthy muffins, add M&Ms (for the bigger party goers) and get instant fish!
Like Foodlets on Facebook and you’ll never miss a new idea or recipe.