There’s nothing like an easy lunch for the kids. Unless it’s a healthy lunch. And this one’s both.
Bonus, even though these easy pita pizzas with cheese & spinach are warm and gooey, the whole thing is done in 5 minutes flat.
Our kids don’t always like a “cooked lunch”. I’m guessing because they often have to wait. But this one’s so easy, so fresh and such a nice little lunch that we’ll have it in rotation from here on out.
With no complaints at all.
- 6 whole-wheat mini pita pockets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup frozen spinach (1 cup fresh)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- salt & pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the broiler.
- Cook spinach in the microwave: Put spinach in a microwavable bowl (I used a glass measuring cup), add a tablespoon of water and cook for about 1 minute. There shouldn't be any leftover water but if there is, carefully drain off.
- Meanwhile brush both sides of the pitas with olive oil, arrange on a baking sheet and broil for about 1 minute. Remove from oven.
- Flip and sprinkle VERY lightly with salt & pepper. Add spinach and garlic powder (plus any other herbs your kids like), top with cheese.
- Broil again for about 2 minutes. Keep your eyes on them because they'll burn quickly!
- Let cool for a few minutes and serve.