My kids love sweet and sour chicken.
Every time we order takeout, that’s their go-to request.
But all that deep fried chicken and food coloring isn’t my favorite thing to serve for dinner, so I came up with a new recipe for sweet and sour chicken they like even better.
I’m taking scrape the plate clean stuff.
This is the no-fry sweet and sour chicken kids love!
This recipe is so good, and so easy, you’ll want to add it to your regular rotation. I already have.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 pound chicken (cut into bite size pieces)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ cup honey or sugar
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (any vinegar will work but this is my favorite)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Saute chicken in olive oil with salt, pepper, and garlic powder until browned, stirring as needed. About 8 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine honey or sugar, ketchup, garlic powder, vinegar and soy sauce. Stir then pour into chicken pan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle about ½ cup of the sweet and sour sauce into the same medium bowl you used earlier. Whisk in the cornstarch, then pour the mixture back in the pan. Simmer for another 2 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Serve over brown rice with steamed veggies.