The idea for these Whole-Wheat Cheddar & Bacon Biscuits came from one of my favorite women in the world, Joanna Gaines.
In her gorgeous book, Magnolia Table, she’s got a different version. Instead of white flour and gruyere, our biscuits are whole-wheat and full of sharp cheddar. Better for you and easier to come by, that’s the Foodlets treatment.
And trust me, it’s a good one.
How to make Whole-Wheat Cheddar Biscuits With (or Without) Bacon
Plus, you can add just a little extra nutrition to your biscuit-y lifestyle by shredding one little sweet potato right into the mix. That’s right. It’s orange. It’s good for you. It blends right in.
Bake for a few minutes and ta da! Fresh biscuits that work perfectly for either breakfast or lunch. (Or dinner, or a snack…)
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- dash of freshly cracked pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
- Optional: ½ cup bacon, chopped (about 4 slices)
- Optional: ½ cup shredded sweet potato, raw
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a food processor, or using a pastry knife with a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pulse or cut a few times to combine. Add butter and sweet potato (if using), pulsing or cutting again. Then add bacon (if using). Mix with your hands until it comes together.
- Use the ice cream scoop (about 4 ounces) to drop equal biscuits onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the edges are brown.
- Serve immediately.