My kids love sweet and sour chicken.
Every time we order takeout, that’s their go-to request.
But all that deep fried chicken and food coloring isn’t my favorite thing to serve for dinner, so I came up with a new recipe for sweet and sour chicken they like even better.
I’m taking scrape the plate clean stuff.
This is the no-fry sweet and sour chicken kids love!
This recipe is so good, and so easy, you’ll want to add it to your regular rotation. I already have.Print
The Super Simple, No-Fry, Sweet & Sour Chicken Kids Love: Takeout Recipe Makeover!
It’s also possible to make this dish in the oven! Put your chicken in a casserole dish and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mix the sweet and sour sauce together, including the cornstarch, and pour over the top. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. The chicken should be cooked through and the sauce thickened.
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 pound chicken (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup honey or sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (any vinegar will work but this is my favorite)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Saute chicken in olive oil with salt, pepper, and garlic powder until browned, stirring as needed. About 8 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine honey or sugar, ketchup, garlic powder, vinegar and soy sauce. Stir then pour into chicken pan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle about 1/2 cup of the sweet and sour sauce into the same medium bowl you used earlier. Whisk in the cornstarch, then pour the mixture back in the pan. Simmer for another 2 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Serve over brown rice with steamed veggies.