YOU MAY ALREADY KNOW (AND LOVE) THESE SWEET POTATO MUFFINS. I do. In fact, these babies are big winners. Yep, they were crowned our Muffin of the Year once upon a time, and I’m pretty sure this is why: you don’t have to bake the sweet potatoes ahead of time, and they’re full of protein-rich nuts. Easy and nutritious? Two of my favorite things. Throw in a specially shaped pan and how can I resist?
My method for making these sweet potato muffins is a bit different from the original recipe on Easy Peasy Organic. It involves a food processor, and not one more bowl. Here’s how we do it.
- 1¼ cup walnuts or almonds (OR 1 cup pre-ground nuts or almond meal, walnut meal, etc.)
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare muffin pan with butter or paper liners.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse nuts until they're finely ground. (If you're using ground nuts, just add them after the sweet potatoes have been processed.)
- Add sweet potato chunks and keep grinding until everything is blended together.
- Add the eggs, which will help the mixture come together.
- Next add olive oil and vanilla and pulse again.
- Throw in the dry ingredients and mix only until blended.
- Fill muffin pan ¾ full and bake according to size: regular muffins 20-22 minutes, mini muffins 10-12 minutes.
P.S. You don’t need a special pan either. Regular muffin pans work beautifully.