With a handful of ingredients, you can whip up a warm, rich and hearty breakfast that’s lower in sugar than you think. Best of all, you just throw everything for these Double Chocolate Slow Cooker Oatmeal into an Instant Pot or a slow cooker before bed, and the whole thing cooks politely while you sleep.
Foodlets Reviews are real quotes from our very real kids. Here’s what they think:
Violet (3): “Mmm. It’s good!”
Estelle (6): “GREAT!”
Phoebe (8): “Delicious! I think I want more. Too bad there isn’t any left.”
*George is sick today. No oatmeal for this poor little guy.
Double Chocolate Slow Cooker Oatmeal
Word to the wise: Be clear about how many chocolate chips each person gets before even getting them out of the pantry. I think 5 is reasonable.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 5 mins
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- chocolate chips and berries
- Oil your slow cooker to help with sticking.
- Use a medium bowl to combine sugar, cocoa powder, salt, water and milk.
- Add oats and stir.
- Pour everything into the slow cooker and set on low for 6 hours. (Your slow cooker will turn to “Warm” when it’s done cooking.”
- Garnish with a few chocolate chips and fresh berries.
Want more hearty and filling make-ahead ideas for breakfast? Try a few of our favorites here: