When I posted a picture of the VERY HARD TO MAKE tomato pie the other day, my friend Liz shot me an email immediately. “Try this shortcut version!” she cheered.
We did. It was a little spicy. So we tried a second version and here’s what my kindergartener said: “This is SO good and so drippy!”
My nine-year-old called it straight up “delicious” and asked if we could have it tomorrow for breakfast. What I’m saying is, this new shortcut tomato pie is a KEEPER.
AND you can make mini versions for lunch too.
But let’s start with the bigger version.
how to make shortcut tomato pie
Start with the freshest tomatoes and herbs you can find.
Then get creative with your shortcut. Liz’s brilliant suggestion is…biscuit dough!
She also slides a big scoop of pimento cheese but that was too “picy” for my crew so I changed it to regular mayo (the kind without sugar) plus cheddar and provolone cheese.
Just assemble the whole thing starting with biscuit dough.
Then add mayo, cheddar and provolone.
Top with a layer of fresh herbs — any herbs. I like basil, thyme, dill and parsley because it’s growing outside at my house. Mint is also delicious here!
Top with a layer of sliced tomatoes and more herbs.
Then bake in the oven at 325 degrees F. for about 30 minutes. The edges will be crispy and the center creamy, tangy and perfect.
Shortcut Tomato Pie
Save the remaining 3 biscuits to either bake on their own or make mini versions of this shortcut tomato pie!
- 5 biscuits from a pre-made roll of biscuits
- 1/2 cup freshly cut herbs
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4-5 large tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 4 slices cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 slices provolone cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Assemble your crust with biscuit dough. Press the biscuits together and flatten them out until you have a whole “crust”.
- Then add mayo, cheddar and provolone.
- Top with a layer of fresh herbs.
- Pour off excess liquid from sliced tomatoes.
- Top with a layer of sliced tomatoes and more herbs.
- Bake in the oven at 325 degrees F. for about 30 minutes. The edges will be crispy and the center creamy, tangy and perfect.