WE’RE ON A BIT OF A ROLL with meals like this slow cooker rice, beef, beans and peppers.
There’s been quinoa enchilada casserole, slow cooker shredded chicken Tex-Mex, and one-pot Mexican casserole–each one a total success with the munchins. I mean, I don’t want to jinx it or anything. Because if there’s a roll, I want to be on it.
This is a kid-friendly healthy dinner served with such minor effort that even a teething baby like Violet doesn’t have a chance to make a desperate grab for my leg while I’m trying to get everything ready.
That’s because what I love about this dish is simple (and as I’ve discovered, unusual): EVERYTHING cooks in the slow cooker. There’s no separate browning of the beef. Nary an extra pan for rice. Nothing. Just a one-pot slow cooker meal.
And dinner is served.
- sour cream or plain yogurt
- fresh lime wedges
- tortilla chips
- ½ onion (red, sweet, white, any kind) diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 bell peppers, medium dice
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 14.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1 14.5 ounce can low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- **1 can enchilada sauce (or another can of fire roasted tomatoes) **RESERVED
- **1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ** RESERVED
- sour cream (optional topping)
- tortilla chips (optional topping)
- avocados, diced (optional topping)
- Layer the ingredients in this order: onions, ground beef, peppers, spices, beans, spices, tomatoes, chicken broth, rice.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Your rice should be fluffy by now. Add the second can of tomatoes or enchilada sauce. The contents of your slow cooker will be piping hot and should immediately bring the new liquid up to temperature. Add cheese, stirring in as well. The cheese will melt and become sticky, gooey and great.
- Serve with toppings like extra cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips or avocados.